Mar 31, 2009

The Brave One (2007)


The Brave One was an interesting movie, with a good characters. Its not the greatest movie ever made or life changing, but a cool story to watch unfold and develop. Its something to watch if it is playing on TNT or lifetime.

Directed by Neil Jordan (Breakfast On Pluto, Interview With a Vampire) and staring Jodie Foster and Terrance Howard as its main characters, The Brave One tells the story of Erica Bain (Jodie Foster) and her struggle with losing her fiancé. After being mugged with her husband in central park and being beaten into a coma, and her husband dying, Erica feels unsafe in the “safest city” in the world. She describes feeling as a stranger, and in order to get over what had happened to her fiancé, she had to become someone else. In order to feel protected and safe she illegally buys a hand gun for “just in case” situations. Erica’s day job is a radio talk show host that has many listeners in the New York area, including a Detective Mercer (Terrance Howard) who is a big fan. Once he hears about the beating and killing of Erica and her fiancé, he personally looks into the case and becomes close friends with Erica. As Erica goes about her daily life, with a gun always in her purse, she stumbles upon situations where she needed to use the gun for self defense, safety and justice. After several killings done by her out of self defense, Detective Mercer starts to suspect her. Many people are calling this killer a vigilante because she is killing thugs, drug dealers, pimps and so forth. Erica doesn’t shake at the feeling with killing someone, and is now determined to find the gang that killed her fiancé. The ending is surprising, and I wont spoil the movie any more than I have, but its good. What will happen? Will Mercer stop her? Join her? Help her? Or not get to her in time?

I liked and disliked this movie for many different reasons. Not a lot on both sides of the argument, but I defiantly liked the movie more than I disliked. First off, this plot has done several times, and it has been done way better. So it wasn’t something that was to original for me to see. It was slow at the begging, and didn’t really pick up for me till almost half way through. Terrance Howard got on my nerves by almost looking and sounding like he was going to cry in every scene. Jodi Foster wore these sunglasses in the movie that just bothered me, they didn’t look good at all, and she is a good looking woman. There were just some cheesy one liners that cops would say, for example, when there was a murder on the subway, one cop says “I hope this was his last stop”

Things I liked about the movie were Jodi Foster, and the bold face character she played. She truly transformed characters from the begging to the end. She went from sweet to lifeless. I really enjoyed her character. I also enjoyed the killing scenes she had. They weren’t over done, and they felt like a good justice kill. I really enjoyed listening to her talk show bits in the movie. She had a great poetic voice, and used such great words and descriptions to explain her feelings. I really liked the ending, I thought it was a good ending to this film. I liked that it took place in upper Westside. There was a shot of her getting into the 103 street subway stop, which is the one right by my apartment, and the one I take every morning. So that was cool. I also liked that it took place in New York

Overall, this movie is good. If it is on TV, I would say watch it. I see it being a lifetime movie or something. But its not something to buy, and watch over and over again. Its an alright rent, I don’t know if I would ever recommend it to someone to rent. I think its TV quality, like if its on TV, watch it, other than that, I don’t think you need to bother or are missing out on much.

2 comments:

  1. Are you upset that I left a comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worth watching. I would say why to wait for it to come on TV just grab a DVD of this movie. I have seen it in theater and was shouting with joy at many times while movie is going on.

    ReplyDelete