Mar 12, 2009

The Baxter




Recently I re-watched my #2 favorite movie, the graduate being #1, the Baxter. I usually post movies on here as I watch them. So I watched the Baxter for the hundredth time just so I can post it up on this page.

I love this movie so much. I love good zany romantic comedies. I have never been a fan of slapstick humor, I just didn’t think it was that amusing. But a good, sophisticated comedy always pleases me. This movie does it all for me. It has great writing and directing (done by Michael Showalter) with a great cast and grew. A lot of things in this movie I find brilliant.
In a nut shell, the plot of the movie is about a guy named Elliot Sherman (played by Showalter) who never has any luck with the girls. He is what his grandma calls a “Baxter” a guy you settle for, a guy that you are content with, the guy you would leave at the alter for someone else. So this movie is about Elliot and his luck with the ladies. He is thrown into a love triangle between his temporary sectary (Michelle Williams) and a client (Elizabeth Banks) of his. Where his secretary is dating someone else and his client still has strong feelings for her high school sweet heart. Is he destined to be a Baxter forever?

The cast of the movie is great. It has the guys from Stella, and a lot of the same cast from the movie “wet hot American summer” (directed by David Wain, who recently directed Role Models). The Stella crew is Michael Ian Black (writer and director of Wedding Daze and Run fat boy run), Michael Showalter, and David Wain. Anytime one of these guys do a production they are sure to include the other members of the Stella troupe in it. Paul Rudd, who I guess is almost in the Stella crew, but not quite, is in most of these independent movies that they make. That’s one thing I love about Paul Rudd, though he might be a famous actor and have famous characters that he plays, he will always do small budget films with his buddies. He just loves to act, and he is good at it.

This movie reminds me a lot of Woody Allen, who is my favorite writer and director. That is why it is my #2 favorite movie. The graduate is #1 simply because it was the movie that made me appreciate how great film can be. The writing in this is so clever. It is so cute, and so easy to get lost in. It can be so awkward, so true, and so weird. It is a movie that I love watching over and over again, especially with people who have never seen it.




Overall, if you are looking for a good, old style feeling romantci comdey without sex and swearing and just no morals, then see the Baxter. It is a good clean romantic comdey that if you pay close attetion to will have you laughing your ass off.

No comments:

Post a Comment