May 27, 2009

Terminator Salvation


Terminator Salvation


This movie does not get two thumbs from me. If anything, I give it a partial thumb rating. Why such a harsh review? It just didn’t work me, it didn’t keep me interested. I went with a party of five people, and we all fall asleep at some point during the movie. I still can’t figure out why we all fall asleep considering that the movie was pretty much action packed the whole time.

Directed by McG (Charlie’s Angels, Smashmouths music video “walking on the sun” and the new upcoming 2,000 leagues under the sea) and staring Christian Bale (Batman Dark Knight) Sam Worthington (Never seen or heard of any of his work), Helena Bonham Carter (Harry Potter Movies, Sweeny Todd, fight club) and Anton Yelchin (Star Trek, Alpha Dog) Set in post-apocalyptic 2018, John Connor is the man fated to lead the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators. But the future Connor was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright, a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row. Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past. As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet’s operations, where they uncover the terrible secret behind the possible annihilation of mankind.

This movie just simply didn’t meet the standards I had for it in my mind. Don’t get me wrong, the special effects were off the hook, and there was some good action. But after seeing so many good movies this month, like Star Trek, Wolverine and Angles and Demons, Terminator just doesn’t meet up to those movies. All those movies had more depth to them with a more interesting plot. I think a big problem with terminator was that they tried to cram so much in with a short amount of time available.

The things I didn’t like about the movie was the acting of Christian Bale. I cannot stand his Batman voice, it kills me. He used it in some scenes of this movie, and it just sounded so cheesy and bad. Also, it left me with so many questions at the end, that I know will be answered in Terminator 5, but still it was annoying to wonder all about the time travel scenario. The action scenes were packed, but somehow were kind of boring. I don’t know why I felt this way, maybe it was because overall the movie had like a gray tone to it, but it was just kind of boring.

The things I did like were the special effects. I thought they were awesome. It was definitely worth seeing this movie based on the special effects. I also liked the character of Marcus Wright played by Sam Worthington. Thought I have never seen his work before, I felt that he did very good as the terminator who thinks he is human. Originally the part of Marcus Wright was to be played by Bale, but Bale wanted to be O’Connor and had the writers re-write some of the script to give O’Connor more of a speaking role.

All in all, I probably won’t see this movie again, and I am just fine with that. I wasn’t the biggest fan of it, but more of my friends liked it rather than disliked it. It’s worth a matinee price I guess, but I wouldn’t recommend putting it at the top of your list of movies to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment