May 1, 2009

Doubt



Doubt

I have a lot of mixed feelings about doubt. It is a very well written script with amazing actors to play the parts. Everyone was perfect for the part, and they played their parts well. But it was so slow and boring to me. My expectations were so high for this movie, and sad to say they were not met.

 

Directed by John Patrick Shanley, this movie tells the story that is set at a Catholic school in the Bronx. It centers on a nun, Sister Aloysius Beauvier played by Meryl Streep who grows suspicious when priest Father Brendan Flynn played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, begins taking too much interest in the life of a young black student. Is she being overly protective or not protective enough? And can she work within the system to discover the truth?

 

The cast was good. The children did a wonderful job in the film, and Amy Adams did such a good job playing a naïve young nun. Philip Seymour Hoffman was the highlight of the film for sure, especially when he got in a big argument with Meryl Streep that gave you the chills.

 

The frustrating thing with the movie is you never know what actually happens, and your left to come up with your own conclusions. Thus it is called doubt. I hear seeing the play is 20 times better, but still it was boring to me. The movie had a lot built up, and then at the end of the movie nothing happened. It kept climbing up towards something good and juicy, and there was no juice at the end.

 

Personally, I wanted more drama in it, and I want more evidence on how the priest was being a dirt bag. I wanted more confrontation, and I wanted it to be less dull. I wouldn’t see this movie again, but if your bored and in a super dull mood, go

 see this movie. Its fine to watch with children, it never actually says rape or anything like that, just that the relationship between the priest and the child is improper. Most of the movie is adults talking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment