May 15, 2009

Funny Games (2007)



Funny games (2007 remake of the 1997 Austrian Thriller)

This movie was just effed up. That’s the best way to describe this movie in a nutshell. It is so sick and twisted, and yet funny and weird, that it is impossible to not have a creepy grin on your face during the movie.

Written and directed by Michael Haneke, who also wrote and directed the original Funny Games movie made in 1997 in Austria, staring Naomi Watts (King Kong, The Ring, The Birds) and Tim Roth (Lie to me), this thriller takes you on a families summer vacation from hell. Anne (Watts) and George (Roth) go on a family vacation at their summer home with their one son and Dog. Two young men, who claim to be friends with their neighbors, come over to borrow some eggs. They are so polite and nice that it is freaky. The one boy named Tubby asks for eggs, and when Anne doesn’t want to give him any, his friend Peter and him become forceful for the eggs. When they do this, they are very polite, and it’s weird. Then they decide to play games with the family, and start torturing them. They are complete psychopaths.

This movie was really interesting to watch though. It was a thriller movie, but filmed in a very artistic way, kind of like 28 days later by Danny Boyle. Lots of amazing shots, and great lighting in it. It gave your typical slasher film a new feeling and look. T

he two crazy boys in it are so good. They are so creepy and just good at being creepy. It tripps you up how polite they are the whole time while tormenting this family.

I wasn’t a fan of the ending, and I thought the movie was a bit long. I didn’t like how sometimes the killers would look at the camera and talk to the audience. It wasn’t the best slasher film ever made. It was good and creepy, but in general I am not into these types of movies. It was vulgar with language or violence, the creepiest part was how polite these boys were to the family they were killing.

If you’re in the mood for an interesting slasher film, I say rent it. Its worth a one time watch for sure.

17 comments:

  1. This movie is truly evil. I watched it hoping it would somehow resolve itself with some humanity but came to the conclusion that it's just some Satanic nonsense riddle that no one is meant to understand. Don't watch this piece of crap. Instead, make sure the idiot that wrote it never knows your address. He must be psychotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea yea yea, why dosent anyone make a movie where the victims are not total pussys and idiots. the husband in this movie was the biggest clown ever

    ReplyDelete
  3. what the fuck was up with the rewinding time shit??

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats what i dont understand, the rewinding.. I think when the kid said to say the prayer backwards he meants something

    ReplyDelete
  5. I assumed it was all some kind of video game of the future. That's why they didn't care about the people they were killing. They wern't real. A kind of star trek holodeck thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rewinding shit ruins the entire movie...it makes no sense....come on dude, make a movie for the audience to enjoy and not for you to make them frustrated...I feel like I just wasted 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rewind as well as Peter talking directly to the audience before and looking into the camera at the end is the "breaking the 4th wall" when the actors acknowledge the audience's presence. This is not a slasher film, it is a slow-burn violent drama with great use of not showing the violence and just letting us listen to it, (like some of 1979's "Alien"). Very effective and even moreso as we never know why Peter & Paul are doing this. Some things just can't be explained.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The film maker got it exactly right, I fell for it from the start - the two psychopaths annoyed me intensely from the start, I got more and more insensed as the movie went on, I found myself relying on the scene early on with the sharp knife in the boat, waiting for some retribution to be dealt out by the courageous Anne, only to be bitterly disappointed when it did eventually materialise - this movie pushed all my buttons and I'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!
    As for the rewinding time and talking to the camera - that totally freaked me out.

    As for what it all means I don't know but Tubby is talking about some parrallel dimension whilst they are in the boat at the end - I didn't listen intently to what was being said because I was raging over the knife being discovered so easily but does anyone know if there is a relevance to his theorising.
    If not maybe this is just one of those movies that redresses the balance for the bad guy.
    Finally - shooting the kid was seriously shocking stuff.... anyway I'm getting hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. disturbing and distracting movie...useless movie...
    total waste of time...
    scared me a lot

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can waste 2 hours to watch this movie and then just feel sorry. Sick, disgusting! If you like this movie... get to a psych doctor! IMMEDIATELY !

    ReplyDelete
  11. This movie sucked... Thank god I didn't pay to watch or rent it.. It takes some sick Nazi german bastard director to film this crap and call it art. If this kind of thing turns you on or makes you think of art in any way you are sock. You probably like the idea of a holocaust type of thing too. Listen, I'm not Jewish or anything, but this movie really isn't anything but a freakin let down and totally sickening. But hey, it got me on here to write about it so whatev. Anyway, unless u wanna be grossed out and pissed like I am, then wait til it's on hbo and watch it for free.. Otherwise, I don't think anyone should ever waste any more time or money on shit like this. If you feel like it, maybe u can contact me and have me come over to ur house, u pay me $10 for my time, and I'll simply kick u in the balls. That will provide more entertainment, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey disturbing and distracting movie...useless movie...
    total waste of time...
    scared me a lot

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched this movie just now! it was sooo weird! really didnt get what the whole plot was. didnt like how slow the movie went! so much time wasting! the guys were creepy but thats all that was good about it! the husband was weirdly passive! and i didnt like the rewinding bit or talking to the camera! just ruined the film! and the ending was naff! waste of time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it is very important games which you can play in shower party in this games there will be some player and you will hid the eyes of the player and then tell the thing which you can place away from the player and they will search the things and you give some time to the player if the player find the things in time then this player will be the winner of games.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is the more best and the more unique kinds of the games for the girls.The dressing games and the best sort of the games for the girls are dress up design games.

    ReplyDelete