May 11, 2009

State of Play


State Of Play

This was a fun movie to watch. It isn’t a thriller so much as it is a mystery. Its one of those movies where you are left in the dark till the end, and everything just makes sense. If I had to describe the plot in a short sentence I would say “government scandals and affairs”

Directed by Kevin Macdonald (Last King of Scotland) and staring Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Jeff Daniels and short appearance by Jason Batemen, this movie takes you into the life of Rep. Stephen Collins (Affleck) and his life in D.C. One morning a woman who worked with him was pushed into the metro train and was murdered. News came out that he was having an affair with her and he was trying to stop the press from doing it. He calls his old college buddy Cal (Crowe) to help him out. Cal thinks there is more to the story and starts investigating with co-worker at the newspaper Della (McAdams) and they find a whole new mess of things. Who killed the woman in the train station? What is Rep. Stephen Collins really up to? You will just have to watch this movie to find out.

Now I wont say that I loved this movie in anyway. I didn’t love it, I thought it was good and fun, but nothing I haven’t seen before. Its something I wouldn’t purchase unless it was for $2 used. It’s a movie that you cant watch over and over again. The good thing about it is that you can talk about it once its over though.

The plot was strong though. I couldn’t find to many holes in it. But at the moment I wasn’t looking for holes, I was looking for answers. I wanted to know what was happening. Its fun discovering the scandals that goes on in D.C. because there are so many.

Overall, I say to wait till it comes out to rent.

1 comment: