Apr 28, 2009

Vénus beauté (institut) Venus Beauty Institute


Vénus beauté (institut) Venus Beauty Institute

 

 I really didn’t like this movie. I thought it was pretty long, and most of it seemed pointless. It would be a good date movie, but not a movie to watch by yourself in your bed at 10 in the morning, which I did.

 

The movie was about Christmas and New Year's Eve approaching. Angèle, who's over 40, picks up men for anonymous sex; yet when Antoine, an unkempt younger man (who's overheard one of her sex partners rudely dismiss her) declares that he loves her and wants to be with her, she pushes him away. What's at the root of her mistrust of love? She works at the Vénus beauté salon, where the relationships and loves of her clients and of her boss and two co-workers contrast with her own. Out of loneliness, she occasionally contacts an old boyfriend, but their schedules never click. Antoine continues to hang about, even though he has a fiancée. Is there any route to happiness for Angèle?

 

The movie was directed by Tonie Marshall and starred Audrey Tautou (Priceless, Da Vinci Code, le battement d'ailes du papillon, He loves me he loves me not, and Amelie) who plays Marie, a 20-year-old who works with Angèle and gives up a lot for love and Nathalie Baye ( Tell No One, and catch me if you can) as Angèle. It was good acting, and also depressing to watch. But I love watching French films in general, I feel that they are better than most films.

 

It is a French film, so of course there was the random naked scene, but it wasn’t a dirty one, it was girl streaking in a way. But all in all, it wasn’t that good. It was a cute story of finding love, and how women at 40 should act 40, but other than that I would never buy it or see it again. 

1 comment: