Apr 9, 2009

**Tell No One (Ne le dis à personne)**



Tell No One (Ne le dis à personne) 

This has to be one of my favorite movies of all time. I love love love love love love it. I am a sucker for most French films, but most French films seem to be weird comedies or romantic films. This one stands out from most French films because it is a thriller and murder mystery. It has you on the edge of your seat the whole movie, questioning who really is the murder, and the ending makes your jaw drop, almost like the ending of Fight Club did to most people.

 

Directed by Guillaume Canet and staring François Cluzet as Alexandre Beck and Marie-Josée Croze Margot Beck, who are husband and wife, this film takes you through the journey of Alex’s life 8 years after his wife was murdered at his family’s old swimming hole. The murder story itself has many holes in it, and it leaves many police men baffled for many years. 8 years later some bodies near the swimming hole were dug up, and allows the opportunity for this murder case to reopened. A lot more unanswered questions come up, and Alex’s name gets thrown in the newspaper. Once the case is reopened and publicly known, he starts getting contacted by someone whom he thinks is his wife who has died, and soon strange people are following him. The question is, who murdered his wife? Why was she murdered? Who will defend and help Alex? and will he ever find solace in his wife’s death? I don’t want to spoil any more of the movie for you, but trust me when I say its amazing. Its honestly one of my favorite thrillers.

 

This movie is just absolutely beautiful. The music is amazing with a great song by Jeff Buckley in it, and perfect music to set the tones for many suspenseful scenes. There is wonderful cinematography in it as well. It isn’t the typical French film were it is famous shots of the Eifel tower, but rather it shows normal life in Paris France. I really enjoyed the characters in this movie, especially the main character Alex. He really loved his wife so much, and you can see his passion for her through out the movie as he tries to solve her murder mystery. As he starts digging around for clues, he receives help from unlikely people. His lesbian sister's wife, and a gangster whose child was saved by Alex. As time goes on, weirder and weirder things start coming together, and eventually you find out the true murder story, and how more than one person was actually murdered.

 

I honestly give this movie a 10 for 10. I bought this movie as soon as I found out it was available for DVD release. The special features and things like that were okay, but this DVD is defiantly worth owning. It’s a good French thriller. I actually ended up seeing this movie 3 times in theaters because I was so entertained by it, and I wanted to show it to 3 different people. I must give a fair warning though, there is one boob scene for those that are cautious about those scenes. You see a dead body of a naked woman for a second. The language is mild, and nothing to offensive. The movie does not have a rating, but I would have a hard time giving it an R rating if I was asked too.

 

Overall, I would say if you have not seen this movie see it now. If you want to see a new movie, go see this one. If you want to be on the edge of your seat, and have your draw drop from a good ending, see this movie. It is amazing.  Awards it won.  

1 comment:

  1. I love, love this movie. It is a perfect French movie with every element you would expect and several delightful surprises.
    I agree with Connie on this one that it is a must-see especially for persons who are used to the typical French comedy/romance.

    ReplyDelete