Jul 14, 2009

The Brothers Bloom


The Brothers Bloom

First emotion that comes to me when I think of this movie is love. I loved this movie. It was a fun movie with lots to offer. All in all, I would see it again and again, and most likely own it when it comes to DVD.

Written and Directed by Rian Johnson (Brick, Evil Golf ball Demon from Hell) and staring Rachel Weisz (Agora, Lovely Bones, Fred Claus, Mummy Returns), Adrien Brody (The Darjeeling Limited, King Kong), Mark Ruffalo (Rumor Has it, Zodiac, All the Kings Men, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) and Rinko Kikuchi (Who will be in the new Shanghai film) This movie was very funny, witty and clever. I haven’t seen a good con movie like this for a while.

The plot of the movie is about two brothers - older Stephen and three years junior Bloom - have been con artists since they were kids. Stephen is the mastermind, for who the intricacy of the story used in the con is as important as the positive outcome of the swindle. Bloom is the main character of Stephen's stories, the character he considers the anti-hero. As adults, they travel the world and never enlist the same people twice in their cons, except for their consistent sidekick, the mysterious and primarily silent Bang Bang, a Japanese woman who just appeared in their lives one day and who has a penchant for blowing things up. As Bloom hits his mid-thirties, he wants to quit the business as he is losing his own identity to that of the

characters he portrays; he doesn't know anymore what is real and what is make-believe. Stephen talks him into one last con, the mark to be the eccentric, lonely but beautiful New Jersey heiress, Penelope Stamp. Penelope's primary past time in life is to, as she calls it, "borrow hobbies": when she sees something she likes, she learns how to do it solely through reading books. As the brothers go through their final con on Penelope, three main problems may occur to thwart the plan. First, the brothers' former mentor and now archenemy, Diamond Dog, may exact his long awaited revenge on the brothers. Second, Penelope may end up being more unpredictable than all their former marks. And third, Bloom, who has let love slip by in his life, may fall for Penelope. But through the process, no one ever really knows who is conning whom.

There were so many things that I liked about this movie. First off, I really enjoyed Rachel Weisz in this movie as Penelope. She was very funny in it, and so ditzy and believable. You never really know what she is capable of in the movie, and it’s always fun to watch her character unfold. Adrien Brody was great in this movie. I haven’t seen to many of his films, but from the ones I have seen this has to be my favorite of his. Mark Ruffalo plays a good smooth,

but sweet man. I liked him as the mastermind behind most of the cons. I feel that this role suited him very well. Rinko as Bang Bang was entertaining to watch. She didn’t say much at all in the movies, but her outfits and facial gestures were good.

I really enjoyed the outfits in the movie and the set designs. It took place all over the world, and it was fun to see the beautiful parts of Europe. Everyone in the movie had very unique outfits, and I loved the all the different clothes that Bang Bang wore. I really wish I could pull of a suit 24/7 like the brothers do in this film.

The cinematography in this film was very excellent. There were many cool shots. My favorite shot in the whole movie was the ending one where they are in Russia. It was so beautiful and well light.

The movie was clean for the most part. Little violence, no drug use, and some language. It was defiantly worth seeing and taking the time to see.

1 comment:

  1. It was unheralded surprise for me. Uncertainly, My sister called me and we people went for this movie. It was fantastic movie with great story. I liked it immensely :)

    ReplyDelete